Thursday, April 29, 2010

19th century speech, and focus

This line from Walden, "I should not obtrude my affairs so much on the notice of my readers..." reminds me so much of the letter from my great-great-grandmother to her first husband, with whom she was in the process of divorcing, "pleas do me the favor of leaving me uninterrupted for the future".

It's such an interesting concept of focus and humility. I love the way they use words that seem so unusual for their context.

And I admire their reluctance to impose their presence, or be imposed upon by another. How different is this from being online 24-7, able to connect with friends around the world, or with strangers next door.

1 comment:

  1. >>>And I admire their reluctance to impose their presence, or be imposed upon by another.

    The entire concept of being an imposition on someone else has just about disappeared. And if you complain about being disturbed, *you're* the crab-ass, not the dolt being rude!

    ReplyDelete

More of my books