Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How (and why) to stop multiasking

I'm writing this as I print something for my husband and need to go get breakfast for the kids. This is something I need to read over and over again:

What we neglect to realize is that we're already using that brain power to pick up nuance, think about what we're hearing, access our creativity, and stay connected to what's happening around us. It's not really extra brain power. And diverting it has negative consequences.

Read the whole article here.

4 comments:

  1. I like your title for this blog entry... clever! I think the title holds even deeper meaning ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shawn. I can't take any credit... the title comes from the original article referenced above. Well worth reading (and following!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, guess I should have been more specific... your title says "multi-asking".

    Also, thanks to your post, I realized that I use smoking as a form of multitasking. I'm on the road to quit smoking and you have helped me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, that was completely unintentional, or Freudian, not sure which!

    I quit smoking many years ago, precisely by not multitasking when I was doing it. I wrote down every single time I smoked a cigarette, and that made me pay attention to when and why. And then gradually cut each one out. I haven't smoked for almost 20 years! Good luck to you, it's a really good thing you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

More of my books