Friday, January 16, 2009

Getting acclimated

We're not quite sure what to do yet, besides sleep at weird times of day. But flights to everywhere are incredible cheap (40 euros round trip to Mallorca!) so we may just decide to make it to that island conquered by Jaume I a thousand years ago after all. I'm off to the library to look up info...

Meanwhile, yesterday we wandered about a bit. While dh went off to play capoeira and soccer, the kids and I went shoe shopping (one pair of ripped snow boots just isn't enough). Unsuccessful, we ducked into a little cafe that I used to love that was recently reviewed by the New York Times, called Viena. It has pretty much turned into a slightly expensive Subway, but it was a welcome respite from the shoes. The
highpoint (low point?) was not the sandwiches but rather the individual portions of, get this, olive oil and vinegar, which got my attention if not my approbation.

Personal olive oil and vinegar

Then we decided to board random buses to see where they'd lead. I had a hard time not paying attention, as I wasn't that keen on going too far off. We took the 55, then the 17, which happened to stop in front of another shoe store. Then onto the yellow line of the metro, a thought about the green line, a quick tour of bus 24 going west, before we got off, crossed the street and took the 22 up vaguely towards our place. Then we got off and wandered back home, but not before we waved goodbye to the woman looking at us strangely on the bus.

It was pretty fun, but we really need more of a plan.

Oh, and I wanted to share this picture of a building under construction. I've never seen anything like it in the US. They build a veritable forest of metal poles, which they construct a roof upon, and then once it's set, they take down the poles. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but I always find it curious.

New Construction

More soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun way to spend the day!! I look forward to reading about more adventures!

    ReplyDelete

More of my books