Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Every little thing

My friend Gregory was in our corn field recently photographing our neighbor's donkey. Gregory is an amazing photographer (with a small but beautiful show at Elmer's these days), and he finally helped me understand how f-stops and exposures and stuff affect pictures. It's something I've never really gotten before. I feel like I can frame pictures pretty well, but I don't have any expertise on taking a good picture. Gregory was kind enough to lend me a tripod, so I took a bunch of pictures of my gourds and sunflowers, experimenting with the f-stop, but boy it's hard to get it just right and in focus. It doesn't help that my eyes have gotten so bad in the past few months that I can barely tell if something's in focus or not. A couple of them came out all right. It was fun trying.

It never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn about every little thing. You scratch a little, and there's a whole world there to discover. And it's a big world.

Here's my shot of the donkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More of my books