Friday, August 13, 2010

Review copies of EPUB Straight to the Point

I've already gotten some lovely reviews of my new book, EPUB Straight to the Point: Creating ebooks for the Apple iPad and other ereaders.

Joel Friedlander, in his review on his popular website, The Book Designer, said, “The book itself is conclusive proof that we no longer have to consider the EPUB books we’ve been reading inevitable, a limitation of the software standard itself. Liz Castro has cracked the code on creating beautiful, functional ebooks. Liz shows in a lucid, logical and humane style exactly how to do everything you see in the book itself.” You can find the complete review here.

And just this week, on Epublishers Weekly, Michael Pastore wrote, “I am wildly enthusiastic about this new book by Elizabeth Castro: EPUB Straight to the Point. Beginners will learn all the essentials, thanks to the many illustrations (screen shots) and the step-by-step instructions that never fail to be clear. EPUB professionals and experts — and I am one of these — will find dozens of ideas for transforming ordinary-looking ebooks into ones that are beautifully designed.” Complete review here.

You can buy the DRM-free EPUB edition right from my site, or in print from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or from my publisher, Peachpit Press.

And if you want to review my book on your site, just let me know, preferably in the next 24 hours or so. I have a stack of books I'd love to give away, and I'm about to leave the country for a bit!

3 comments:

  1. I would be interested in reviewing your book! In addition to my own work, I'm trying to figure out how to bring in some intro-level epub formatting to the class I teach (Digital Publishing/InDesign).

    (Including my url, though I'm more active on Twitter and Posterous.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    using your wonderfull "Straight to the Point" (and consulting your "HTML, XHTM & CSS" too (in german!), I am still searching for a solution to the following problem:
    I wold like to change the design of footnote numbers. They are often hard to find, therefore I put them in bold and Verdana like this:

    a.footnote-link {
    font-family: "Verdana-Bold" !important;
    vertical-align: top;
    font-size: 70%;
    color: #A90017 !important;

    #A90017 is a fine dark red.

    Unfortunately the color does not change - it is still blue, not red!

    May be this problem is interesting enough for others too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jochen: Hmm. It works for me. What does your HTML look like?

    ReplyDelete

More of my books