Thursday, June 17, 2010

More on Choosing Fonts for iBooks on iPad

[Update: With iBooks 1.1, Apple has changed much of the system for applying fonts. Please read Apple damaging ePub standards with pseudo-support and Apple kills fonts in iBooks, strikes blow to standards.]


Generally, a designer sets the font for an iBooks ebook by adding a font-family rule to a p or div selector in the CSS style sheet. In an earlier article, however, I noted that the reader can override such choices by choosing a new font in iBooks' font menu.

David Mundie found that not all the text is affected by choices the reader makes in the font menu. In fact, he found that if you specified the font in something other than a p or div, say, with em, strong, blockquote, or li, etc., the font persisted, even when the reader chose a different font.

David had also discovered that you could use the ancient font tag to make font choices persistent for a bit of text. And although I found that interesting, I couldn't quite get behind using that long deprecated tag.

At the same time, I found a different problem. First, iBooks completely ignores font choices applied via a span tag. Second, and somehow more disturbingly, if you apply a font to a particular paragraph via a p or div tag, and then try to use span to apply any characteristic (even color) to a bit of that text, iBooks applies the new characteristic, but loses the font choice, reverting back to the default font that the reader has chosen.

Choosing fonts for iBooks

I combined David's findings with my own, and realized that the font tag discovery was a red herring. You can use any tag—except span, p, or div—to apply a persistent font, and it works whether or not a different font has been applied to the paragraph from an earlier rule. (OK, I confess I didn't test every single element in XHTML, so if you find one that doesn't work, I'd love to hear about it.)

That is, in my upcoming book on ePub production (ePub: Straight to the Point), I show a lot of code examples, much like the names of the XHTML elements in this article. I formatted them in InDesign with a special character style called "inlinecode". When I exported my files from InDesign to (begin to) create the ePub version of my book, it created a class called "inlinecode" and applied it to the code bits, by way of a span element:
<p class="body">Add a <span class="inlinecode">class</span> to the desired <span class="inlinecode">p</span> element in your XHTML document.<p>
Here is (some of) the style information for both the paragraph and the inlinecode class:
p {
font-family: "Optima";
font-size: .9em;
}

span.inlinecode {
font-family: "AmericanTypewriter";
color: #d90000;
}
However, because of iBooks' span bug, it not only doesn't use the American Typewriter font that I chose for the inlinecode class, but it also doesn't use the font chosen for the paragraph that contains it (Optima). Curiously, it does apply the red color. (Go back to illustration.)

But, if instead of applying the new font with a span element, I use the code element (which in this case, is also semantically appropriate), my font choices and the red color prevail. (Note that the class is no longer necessary.)
<p class="body">Add a <code>class</code> to the desired <code>p</code> element in your XHTML document.<p>
choosing fonts for iBooks

A side effect is that my font choices are persistent and can't be changed by the reader, but that's a topic for another post. (The number 1 in the illustration works the same way as the code elements, just with different formatting applied.)

In summary, you can apply font choices in iBooks by applying a font rule in the CSS to any element except the span tag. If you specify font choices with p or div, they can be overridden by the reader's font choice. Font choices specified with any other element are persistent, that is, not affected by what the reader chooses in the Font menu.


Related articles:

Palatino bug in iBooks on iPad
Text Size in ePubs-- Points? Pixels? or Ems? Oh my!
More fonts for eBooks on iBooks on the iPad
Choosing Fonts for iBooks on iPad

8 comments:

  1. I notice that even with font specs such as you describe, choose a different user font will change the font metrics, making them larger or smaller, even though the user font size has not been adjusted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I've seen that too, but it worries me less. I'm not so interested in keeping the reader from adjusting the display as I am in making sure I at least get to present my own "defaults". If they decide to view tiny or huge, that's up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i admire your fortitude
    in ferreting all of these
    browser inconsistencies...

    oh wait a minute...
    browser inconsistencies
    were the nightmare
    we _used_ to have...

    but now, these days,
    e-reader inconsistencies
    are our new nightmare.

    i guess we never learn.

    -bowerbird

    ReplyDelete
  4. One sets font on BODY, not just P or DIV. One then overrides if desired for child nodes like H1 or BLOCKQUOTE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unless I'm much mistaken, iBooks treats body elements the same way it does divs — that is, it ignores any font specifications on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my current project, I don't care what font is used, but I have ID Character Styles for bold in-line heads. I don't care what font, so long as it is bolded. How should I do the CSS, since they call come out of ID CS3 as [span class="run-in-head"]? I've tried font-weight and font-style bold but they don't work. Maybe it's here in your answer but I'm not finding it exactly.

    Thanks so much, your blog is a lifesaver and I can't wait for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if you've come across this freak accident yet or not. But I went along with the "span class" that has a font assignment and iBooks would always change it for the default font, except on one version of my tests it would show as the assigned font that I had. The problem is that on the next test versions it started defaulting again! I inspected the CSS and XHTML files to try and catch the difference that made it work, but I can't find anything for the life of me! It is extremely strange! Do you know what it could be?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Maziar: No, I haven't. Maybe some weird caching behavior? Another tag you hadn't noticed? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete

More of my books