Friday, October 23, 2009

Easy homemade Maple Granola

A friend of mine gave me her recipe for granola a while back: 1 big round box of oats, 1 cup of maple syrup and 1 cup of olive oil, and I've been making it ever since. But since I buy organic oats in bulk, I never quite got the proportions right. Sometimes I don't put enough maple syrup and it comes out rather dull, other times I put too much olive oil and it comes out greasy. I swore I would figure it out systematically, but it took a few years to actually do it AND write it down.

But I finally figured it out: 4 (generous) cups of oats, 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1/2 cup of olive oil. I often make a triple batch: 12 cups of oats, 1 and 1/2 cups each of maple syrup and olive oil. Then mix it all together, spread it out on two cookie sheets, and bake at 225°F for an hour and a half. I use the Convection Bake option on my oven, which turns on a fan that helps make the granola crispier. I also leave the granola in the oven until the oven and the granola cool down. This also helps with the crispiness.

Store in air-tight jars.

Granola

I like mine plain, but it's also good with sunflower seeds, nuts, raisins, cranberries, bits of peach or raspberries. Ooh, and my personal favorite is to eat it with plain yogurt and maple syrup.

I did try to grow my own oats this year, and they did really well right up until the moment when the turkeys came and ate them all. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. We are making it even as we speak (I type?) -- will let you know how it turns out. Thanks!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    I just got your HTML book from the library, which I like so much I'll be buying a copy, and then I went to your site and here I am. I was pleasantly suprised you are into farming and gourds! Me too!!! I am a graphic artist by trade, got laid off, went to school for web design, didn't learn enough (therefore the library and your book), plus my husband and I own and operate a small CSA farm PLUS I do gourd art. Talk about coincidences.
    I'll spend more time later, but now I need to find the PHP code on pg 256 of your book on your site. I want to try it out tonight. Thanks so much for the info.
    Su
    Zoey Farms in Shingle Springs, California
    zoeyfarms@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

More of my books