Monday, April 13, 2009

Busy day on the farm

I woke up to lambs. Two cute little tiny ones. There's a boy that's mostly all black, who we're naming Birch, and a girl whose black and white curls mix all over her body. She's Maple. Her mom is Willow, you get the idea.

Birch and Maple

After a while, I went back in the house to make coffee and I heard the chickens complaining. I look out the window and there's a fox, 50 yards from the house, and a fair bit closer to said chickens. I grab my camera (of course!) but dh isn't playing around.

Fox in the backyard

He runs outside (as I snap madly) and encourages Laika, our huge dog, to chase the fox. Laika, however, is instead inspired to join in the chase of the chickens. Most of us laugh hysterically.

The fox, meanwhile, gets spooked and decides to fly the coop, so to speak. She's gone within seconds across the field.

I watch all day for her return, but she does not reappear. I'll close the little lambs in carefully, just in case.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a busy farm life you have! Keep us posted on the lamb's progress. Are they meat sheep or wool sheep?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe they're triple-purpose? They are great foragers, so some will be meat. They have lovely Lopi-like wool (did you see that felted bunny I made?). And I'm also thinking about milking them and making me some Manchego! (But the lambs get first go.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, get rid of that fox PERMANENTLY if you can!! No good can come of a fox prowling around, especially if you've got small livestock and poultry. We've got one that we're pretty sure lives on the neighbour's yard. I shot at it once last year and haven't seen it on our yard since, but just two days ago, my daughter and I saw it across the road. And the noise? Downright spooky at night.

    Yeah, get rid of him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I opened a blogspot account, so I can keep track of my friends who use this site.

    But, whoa, those lambs are incredibly cute.

    Also a great picture of the fox, although too close to the chickens is anxiety-causing.

    Do you hsve any idea whether hummingbirds are back in town yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, perhaps I should mention that I am the Other Liz, since I neglected to mention that in the previous comment.

    *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz! I recognized your nom de plume... oh man, and you have to see the lambs in person, in the late afternoon, they go out to the pasture and run around and play tag and bug their moms generally. The older one (Victor) goes to get the little ones and then they chase him and I could watch them forever!

    I haven't seen any hummingbirds, but I finally heard my first peeper tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the new babies, they're adorable!! I vote for just getting wool and milk from them though, no meat. :-)

    ReplyDelete

More of my books