Friday, December 12, 2008

Ice Storm

Ice Storm

We had an incredible ice storm last night. I can't remember it ever having been so bad. All through the night we heard creaks and cracks and booms as branches fell from trees all around us. I was sure we'd have a tree through the house, and a few times it came really close.

In the morning, the damage was everywhere... trees down all around us, in the middle of the road, and no electricity. A call to the electric company revealed that power would be restored by, uh, midnight Sunday. Course I can't go without internet that long, not to mention heat, running water, and freezers for all the meat we raised. Thankfully, we've got the generator going, but even getting gas for it was a little tricky since the gas pumps in town run on electricity, of which they had exactly none.

I can't remember the last time we had this much ice... there was practically an inch of accumulation. I think the only reason we didn't lose the apple tree was because it had already lost so many branches from the weight of the apples. All the electric fence is down (weighted with too much ice) so the animals are snug in the barn. It's sort of exciting, but I'll be happy when we've got electricity again.

More pictures on Flickr.

1 comment:

  1. Those close-up pictures of the trees and shrubs are AMAZING!! I've never seen anything like that! (and I live on the Canadian prairies, so it's not like I don't know what ice looks like!!) We just don't get ice storms like that. Incredible. Glad there was no real damage and hopefully, your power will be restored sooner than expected!

    ReplyDelete

More of my books